All right, folks, I'm here with another post. This one is for the crime highlights of 2008 for this neighborhood.
1) You may not be aware of this, but our neighborhood had the VERY first Homicide in the year 2008. Murdered was a Leonardo Otero, 15 years of age. He was murdered on the 2900 block of North Springfield on either January 2nd, 3rd or 4th (some day around that date frame) at around 7:30pm. He was with several friends when a white van (which many classmates of mine at Monroe last year reported regulary seeing, which scared the daylights out of them) pulled up to them and open fired. Otero died on the scene.
2) Crazy happenings for two days at Monroe school on January 23rd-25th. Snowballs being thrown at passing people, group of kids arrested on school grounds for smoking pot and of course, the Robbery that occurred on school grounds.
3) A bomb was found somewhere on my block sometime during the spring. Bomb and Arson took the bomb to Area 5.
4) A teenager was murdered on the 2700 block of North Monticello on June 9 at about 9:50pm. It happened on the very same day I graduated from Monroe. The teen died from gunshot wounds following an argument with an alleged gang member. Some friends of mine knew the teen who was killed and say he was a nice guy.
5) Monroe school was burglarized on July 10 at around 4:10pm, though the burglary wasn't discovered until days later.
6) A stabbing occurred in late July at George and Ridgeway. A man was stabbed during a very large gang fight that broke out on the street. I did not walk right to the crime scene, but I do remember seeing tons and tons of police and a large group of gang members arguing.
7) Weekend brawls happened every weekend for a month following the stabbing.
8) A so-called ComEd worker who tried to break into my (and other people's on the block) house sometime in August or September.
9) A shooting occurred on the 3100 block of North Monticello on November 24.
10) A huge gang fight nearly happened on November 26 but stopped by Beat 2590.
11) Group teen fights broke out all around the neighborhood for a few hours on December 10.
12) An arson occurred near the Armitage Hall at 5:12am on December 14. It appears that the offender has not been found yet, as of when I type this.
13) Insane gang fights broke out around the Koz Park area on December 17.
14) A man was shot and killed on the 1800 block of North Pulaski at 1:00am on December 20.
15) A bona fided shooting (or even possible Homicide) happened at Diversey and Lawndale on December 28 at 7:15am in the morning. A man was shot on the corner. Shells were found next to his body. Later, at night, multiple and multiple shots fired around Ridgeway and Milwaukee on December 28. There may have a been a bona fided shooting during one of these calls, but I'm not too sure on that.
There you have it, the 15 crime highlights of this neighborhood for the year of 2008. There may be more but I don't remember them. If there was and you know about it, please share in the comments section and I'll add it to this list. Thanks for reading this. Look out for the crime highlights of 2009 at this time next year.