Sunday, March 22, 2009

Shooting on Diversey late last night and more shots fired today

Good afternoon. I've gotten word that there was a shooting on Diversey near Koz Park last night (must've been after midnight). This was said over the police radio as information for a "Shots fired" call that came out around 12:26pm this afternoon at 3854 W Diversey. That job was coded out 19Paul because police talked to several people who said they saw or heard nothing. There was only one call on the job and it was an anoymous caller.

About 10 minutes ago, police were also saying something about a disturbance at Koz Park. While I don't have the radio with me right now, I will be asking my mom every few minutes if there's anything happening around here. If there's another shooting today, I'll start mointoring all day.

Does anybody have anything about last night's alleged shooting? Please email me if you do.

2:22pm - Multiple units are flying down the 2800 block of N Ridgeway. I find out it's a robbery. It's coded out, however, because there is no call back and nobody's flagging the 5-0 (police) down.

2:23pm - Gang disturbance. Springifeld and Belden. Gangbangers loitering.

Update at 3:39pm - The shooting that the police said that happened did in fact happen. It occurred at around 5:45 this morning on the 2700 block of N Harding. A male was wounded during the shooting as well. He was taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center. He was wounded in the shoulder but was in good condition and excepted to recover. There is no information surrounding the circumstances of the shooting. http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/1490034,w-logan-square-park-shooting-032209.article.

What a bunch of bulls--t this is. A shooting at 5:45am in the morning?! What has this neighborhood come to?? This is really f-ing bull! And it sounds like the person shot is an innocent bystander!

Like I've said before, we need more patrols in the area of Koz Park. And not just sitting in your squad cars, officers. FOOT patrols, please. Instead of patroling Milwaukee, patrol Koz Park. I never see any police officers or even a squad car at the park when I go by there. If the POD cameras actually really worked, I'd be asking for one at Schubert/Avers, Schubert/Springfield, Schubert/Harding, Diversey/Harding and Diversey/Springfield. Maybe there should be one at Diversey and Pulaski as well.

I feel like emailing the Commander to tell him to put more foot patrols in the area and increased police patrol in general, but I don't know if I'll get any real results. I'm going to give it a try, though.

8 comments:

Craig Gernhardt said...

Who in their right mind would want to be out shooting at each other? It's not even that warm out today.

AvondaleLoganSquareCrimeBlotter said...

Gangbangers. They say it's all gang related.

AvondaleLoganSquareCrimeBlotter said...

Here's the information on the shooting:

RD: HR228886
Date/Time: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 05:46:00
Address: 2700 N HARDING AVE Crime: AGGRAVATED BATTERY, HANDGUN Arrest: N
Location: PARK PROPERTY
Beat: 2524
Ward: 30

Big Daddy said...

Timmy, the problem with posts about people wanting a foot post here or there, more patrols by the officers is this: THERE IS NOBODY LEFT TO DO THOSE THINGS ANYMORE! The mayor has let this department go so far down that it's not even funny anymore. He loses about 500 officers a year due to retirements and then hires about fifty or so to replace them. There is a class in the academy right now that consists of 85 recruits. To replace the hundreds that have retired last year. Now I'm hearing that there will be no more classes for 2010 nd 2011!
025 is one of the busiest districts in the city. It is also one of the largest. When I was there it the guys usually went from job to job. There was no time to do aggressive, preventive patrol. Sometimes I didn't even get a lunch break. Compare 025 with lakefront district, say 019 or 020. You will notice that those districts are much smaller, way less busy but yet have the same number of officers as 025! So as much as I'd like to agree with some of the posts about foot patrol and more patroling by the officers assigned to 025, I doubt we will ever see that happen. At least not until we rid ourselves of Daley, Weis and his wannabe members of his command staff that are responsible for all of this.

AvondaleLoganSquareCrimeBlotter said...

Big Daddy, I can clearly see that now. CPD is truly under a manpower shortage. Why is Daley so stupid? First of all, this is a big city. We need 500 new officers each year to replace the 500 that leave. But he doesn't seem to understand that. That's how buried his head is in the sand.

Re: no more classes in 2010 and 2011, excuse me, but WHAT?!? Is the mayor out of his mind?!? We need to replace and Weis, NOW. This is scary to think about. Do Daley and Weis really hate CPD that much, to do this to you guys (and us citizens, too)?

Yes, 25 is one of the busiest Districts. Sometimes Zone 12 goes almost non-stop dispatching officers in 25. On those warm days, oh boy. Those backlogs get real long and take hours to get cleared. And yes, it's a large District.

I have heard (not yet really seen) over the radio how many officers are in 19 and in 20, and you're right, 25 has just about the same amount of officers. Which leads me to this question: how come these officers in CAPS (sorry, Officer Flores and Sgt. Weiglein, but I just have to ask) aren't FORCED to leave the station and actually do some police WORK? I think these guys in CAPS need to be OUTSIDE of the station, not inside.

But, Big Daddy, there is some hope. Only a real small %, though. Why do I say this? Because, on the bright side, we do now have about three or four foot officers in 25 on Second Watch, and there is one that works the area of Milwaukee and Belmont. There is also one on Third Watch who works Fullerton from time to time (the guy who does it seems to have a lot of days off. Either that, or maybe he's on desk duty).

AvondaleLoganSquareCrimeBlotter said...

Oh, and Big Daddy, can I please use your comment in an article I'd like to do on this blog about CPD's manpower shortage? Your comment is as real as it gets, and I'd like to share with the readers who don't think CPD's manpower shortage is as bad as it really is.

Big Daddy said...

Sure Timmy, go ahead, use my comment if it will help you out. BTW, it's good to hear from you and I do like your blog.

AvondaleLoganSquareCrimeBlotter said...

I think it'll help me out telling these readers the truth (which is that CPD's understaffed).

It's also good to hear from you. And, thanks. I'm glad I have one cop who likes the blog.