Good evening, everyone. I attended 1412's CAPS meeting tonight. This was my first and only visit to that meeting. The first thing we did at the meeting was introduce ourselves, than we went to old problems that came up at February's meeting. Those problems were...
* Central Park and Elbridge - At the old fire station, there were complaints about the fence being opened. The Beat Facilitator reports that there isn't much that can be done, according to Rey Colon's office, and CAPS.
* Graffiti - Last month, there was a rash of it throughout the Beat. Most of it has been taken down.
* Burglary on Woodard.
Moving onto the new problems:
* 3435 W. Belmont - Rash of burglaries with patio doors on balconies being opened.
* 3454 W. Barry - Man dropping a bucket of ... something, from the 3rd floor in the late afternoons and early evenings.
* 2646 N. Sawyer - Active drug house; parties, burning wood, drinking and fighting.
> The shooting that occurred at Kedzie and George about a week or two ago was discussed.
> There have been Homicides on Beat 1421 and 1422, according to the CAPS Sgt.
> A citizen from Beat 1422 came to the meeting to speak to about an incident that happened on his Beat involving CPD and several Latin King gang members. More to come on this story...
> There have been 17 calls on Beat 1412 for "loud reports" (gunshots, fireworks, noises, etc.)
> I was impressed with the turn-out at this meeting. There were about 15 to 20 residents in attendance at this meeting, along with the CAPS Sgt., the CAPS Community Organizer, two officers working Beat 1412 on Afternoons, and other people from different Beats in 14.
> The most crimes were theft (15 reported incidents), burglary (13 reported incidents) and motor vehicle theft (13 reported incidents).
For this Beat meeting post, I ask for those residents who read the blog but don't come to the meetings (because they don't want to), please, go!
Next meeting: June 2, 2010 at St. Nicolai Church (3000 N. Kedzie) at 6:30PM.