Good morning, everyone. I would just like to tell all of you about what happened at 2524's CAPS Beat meeting two Thursdays ago, on the 15th. The meeting wasn't on the short side, but it wasn't long, either. Not many people in attendance. It's the holidays, though. You can't except too many people at meetings like this at this time of year. Now, I will tell all of you about the old issues brought up at the last meeting, which was on November 17th, 2011 . The problems were...
* 2417 and 37 N. Ridgeway - Lots of problems with these two vacant buildings, including loitering, drug-selling and graffiti. Our Lady of Grace Convent was victim to gang-related graffiti, which has been removed. Problems have since died down.
* 2723 N. Ridgeway - Abandoned building; is registered as a vacant building.
* Schubert and Monticello - Many issues with drug sales and loitering.
* 3643 W. Diversey - This building is still abandoned. Scheduled for demolition.
* 3701 W. Diversey - LOTS of problems with drug sales, gang activity, loitering, etc. This is an everyday problem at this location. Sgt. Weiglein has been talking to the owner, who isn't all that cooperative.
And now moving onto the new problems:
* Monticello and Schubert - This corner is still a big problem, with groups of large teens and kids loitering and selling/doing drugs, and etc. They are usually out there from 3:00pm to 5:00pm. This is also possibly related to the problems with dismissal at Monroe Elementary school. (Note from Timmy - I have documented a few calls from this intersection regarding this problem, and as someone who used to attend Monroe, I can attest that there were always a lot of problems at dismissal time. Also, I have the exact address of the problem building, as reported at the meeting, but will not publish it due to liability concerns.)
* 3643 W. Diversey - Still occasional trespassing; building slated for demolition.
* 3701 W. Diversey - As previously stated, there is an everyday situation with drug sales, gang activity and loitering, and this is still a problem. (Note from Timmy - I live nearby and have seen first hand of exactly what kind of activity goes down at this corner building. The problem does not show signs of ending soon.)
As I do in every Beat meeting post, I extend my thanks to all for being involved in this meeting. Once again, I ask for those residents who read the blog but don't come to the meetings (because they don't want to), please, come! It only takes ONE hour of your time, and we need all of the help we can get.
Next meeting: Thursday, January 19, 2012 at Our Lady Of Grace (2446 N. Ridgeway) at 7:00PM.