Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Two Years Ago, On This Day...

Today was the day two years ago that I started this blog. Yup. I started it on November 23rd, 2008. It was at 4:30 in the afternoon. At the time, I was trying to figure out what kind of layout I should use for the blog, but more importantly, what kind of information to put up here. So I started the blog, and at the time, I chose only to live-police scan 25, and put Chicago Journal articles up from 14. There was no coverage of 17 whatsoever planned. But in the next few weeks, I realize 14 and 17 also needed the live scanned action. So, then, I decided to blog those two districts only once a month (which still applies, except for 14 in the summer).

This blog grew. More and more people looked at this blog daily, and within the next few months, I had about 200 daily readers. And back then, people made comments so useful, and respectful towards each other. It's not really like that today, but one can dream.

Then came June of 2009, which was a very bad month for my family and I. At the time, the economy sinked so low that it threatened to cut our internet off completey. After all of you read that, you volunteered to help continue the blog. A week later, I switched to Windy City, for the summer. I got a lot of more readers when I made that switch. And my blogging was almost non-stop that summer. If you never caught on my purpose, I switched over in case I needed more readers to help me fund my internet to continue the blog.

In August 2009, I had an interview with Time Out Chicago magazine. That was my first, and so far only (because I've turned all of the others down), interview with the media. I felt great about being interviewed, and that also gained me some more readers. More importantly, it told people about me, and why I do what I do. Then, a month later, I switched my blog back to Blogger, and have been here ever since. I remember a lot of you were so happy when I came back to Blogger, so that made me happy, too.

In the last year, this blog has grown so much. I've been getting more and more comments, and readers, each and every single day, which has benefited a lot of people, I feel. It has benefited the Chicago Police because they get more information on certain crimes by reading this blog (believe me, guys, I've got cops reading this blog). It has benefited you, the reader, because of that, too, but also because you have spread the word and have gotten more people to read this blog. Lastly, it has benefited me. Doing this blog has benefited me because I've established many relationships which I thought were never possible. I have a mostly good relationship with the CPD and my alderman because of the blog, I've gotten better relationships with my teachers at school because of it, and most importantly, I've met SO many good people from doing this blog. Prior to doing this blog, I was always at home (besides going to school). I never went anywhere or did anything. I would just watch TV or do my homework. But in time of doing this blog, I've met many community members, which has gotten me involved with many community meetings. Currently, I'm a member of CAPS, I'm a member of the Avondale Neighborhood Association, I helped form a block club on one block, and I formed a block club of my own.

So, to wrap this up, I would just like to give a special thank you to EVERYONE who reads this blog. Thank you so much for all of your support over these last two years. In particular, I owe a really special "thank you" to Craig Gernhardt, the author of "The Broken Heart of Rogers Park" blog, the Edgewater Community Buzz (formerly Blotter), and my mom (I love you so much!!!). Thanks to these people, I've gotten this blog to where it is today. I owe a special thanks to the people who have read this blog since I first started it. You are my loyal and faithful fans. I also owe a thanks to Brad Flora from Windy Citizen for letting me host my blog on his site last summer. I probably have a ton of other people to thank, but can't remember everyone I need to. So, I'll just say it again: thank you SO MUCH for all of your help and encouragement over the last two years. You don't know how much it means to me, and thanks to all of you, I will be forever grateful for living in the community I live in. Yes, it does have crime and violence, but as I always say, it takes determination to rid of it, and I feel most of you are determined to help me fight this battle. Together, we can change our communities and so much more!

I will continue to provide this service to my community, and your community. I hope this blog lasts for many, many years, even if I don't run it anymore someday.

Thank you for everything, everyone!! I appreciate it so much, and to no end!!

Sincerely,
Timmy

9 comments:

Dad said...

Beautiful, Timmy, simply beautiful. You make me so proud of you. Dad

Roadwolf said...

Thank you TImmy and congrats on all your hard work!

Anonymous said...

Great work Timmy!

Love your writing and glad you use your time wisely.

Congratulations.

Dad's Dad said...

Congrants timmy

Brad Flora said...

Hey, Timmy, we're thankful for you, too over on Windy Citizen. Glad to hear 2010 has been such a better year than 2009 and that we could be a part of that.

AvondaleLoganSquareCrimeBlotter said...

Thanks for the comment, Dad. I appreciate it.

Roadwolf, anonymous and Dad's Dad, thanks for the comments! I'm glad to provide this community service.

Brad, I can't thank you enough for allowing me to use your blog for the time I did. It got me back on my feet in those times of hardship.

Anonymous said...

How much has changed in two years? Has the area gotten worse? I've noticed police service has gotten worse.

AvondaleLoganSquareCrimeBlotter said...

Anonymous 12:55, to be honest, I would say most of the area has improved a little. But my block and a few others have gotten really bad. And, about the police service, blame that on Jody Weis. For one, he had a lot of cops fired, then didn't give them a contact, and is now pulling the Tac units out of the Districts. Also, because of him, their morale has gone down the tubes.

moulin67 said...

Congratulations Timmy! Keep up the good work, and thanks for continuing to make our community a better and safer place to live.